Thursday 14 December 2006

British Comedy Awards - A rant

I don't know if it's even worth ranting. I've got a cold, I've got a presentation to work on for tomorrow, but then blogging is a good form of procascination, so here goes. Mitchell and Webb were robbed. Charlotte Church best female comedy newcomer? Eh? Well there was no one better in the category to win it, and her show is like car crash viewing, at least that's my experience of it. Just worth watching to see how much worse it can get.

That Mitchell and Webb Look which has been consistently funny losing to patchy Star Stories? I watched one episode, I was in a silly giggly mood at the time, it made me laugh a little, but That Mitchell and Webb Look was far funnier.

I'm not even going to bother ranting about Ant and Dec winning an award other than a little concerned there is no love for Mitchell and Webb from the texting masses? I'm not one of the texting masses so I've got an excuse for my lack of texting. Every year Ant and Dec have to win an award, it's on ITV, ITV need an award from the evening. At least they didn't win their other awards.

To quote the Guradian "On a night of surprises Stephen Merchant upstaged his better known comedy partner Ricky Gervais at the British Comedy Awards, beating him to the best actor prize for his role as a hapless showbiz agent in Extras." Surpise? Stephen Mercahnt winning? Not really. Sure, I wanted Robert and David to win the best comedy actor award, but what with Mr. Merchant steeling extras and being the only thing worth watching what with the second series dissapearing up it's own ass and the celebrity cameos becoming as boring and uninspiring as the simpsons celebrity cameos. Hell he's got a cameo in the new season of 24, it's not a suprise that he won it, it's just fucking lazyness on the part of the British comedy awards. And as for recent news of a third series of Extras? I have two words... FUCK OFF.

The BBC news article on the event frustrates me as well "while student favourite Little Britain won the FHM and Zoo magazine vote for top stage show." Student favourite? Oh fuck off. Mighty Boosh or Mitchell and Webb are a student favourite, not fucking Little Britain with it's milking of as many people's wallet's as possible. But the British comedy awards have to give Little Britain an award as well as Ant and Dec and Ricky Gervais (okay it was Mr.Merchant who won it, but still, close enough link).

At least Peep Show won. I would have majorly kicked my TV in if Extras had won.

So to summarise my view on the British Comedy Awards... FUCK OFF.

No comments: